CT is an advanced X-ray technology that produces detailed cross-sectional images, allowing the radiologist and physician to visualize bones, articular joints, and the surrounding soft tissue structures. Orthopaedic or MSK CT focuses on the imaging of abnormalities of the bones, joints, muscles, tendons and articular cartilage.
CT scans are painless, non-invasive and very accurate. One major advantage of CT is its ability to image bone and osseous structures with great detail.
What is Special about MSK CT at Charter Radiology?
- State-of-the-art 128 slice CT scanners allows for faster scanning.
- Highly detailed imaging with higher resolution and better image quality allows for visualization of smaller structures.
- SAFIRE software technology allows for up to 60% radiation dose reduction.
- The radiologist overseeing and interpreting the procedure is sub-specialized in musculoskeletal radiology and orthopaedic conditions.
- Customized MSK protocols are established based on the patient and referring physician’s surgical needs.
- Specialized in detailed bony and soft tissue imaging.
- Special protocols are performed to design custom joint replacement implants.
- Provides 3D models to enhance visualization of complex fractures.
- Patient friendly design creates a stress-free environment.
- Scheduling convenience-We provide extended hours so that your procedure can be scheduled promptly at a time that works best with your busy schedule, even if it’s later in the evening or over the weekend. We also provide same day and walk-in availability.
Metal Suppression (iMAR)
Metal fillings and orthopaedic implants cause artifacts that often result in non-diagnostic CT image quality, costing time for planning and potentially threatening therapy outcomes. Interactive metal artifact reduction (iMAR) is an algorithm focused on the removal of metal artifacts for enhanced diagnostic image quality. The minimal introduction of new interpolation artifacts help streamline workflows – with iMAR, surgical, prosthetic and dental fillings as well as pacemakers are not hiding insights anymore.
Charter Radiology is one of the only outpatient centers in Maryland that offers this advanced CT technique.
Pre-Operative Planning for PSI (Patient Specific Instrumentation)
Charter Radiology is the facility of choice for Orthopaedic surgeons planning to use patient specific instrumentation for joint replacements. We perform pre-operative planning for the following orthopaedic implants:
- ConforMIS-uses patient-specific knee implants that are customized to fit specifically to the patients knee and designed to accommodate all stages of osteoarthritis of the knee.
- iUni®-Individually customized implant for one compartment of the knee (medial or lateral)
- iDuo®- Individually customized implant for one compartment of the knee (medial or lateral) and the patellofemoral compartment
- iTotal®-Individually customized total knee replacement
- Zimmer/Biomet Patient-Matched Implants (PMI)
- Shoulder-Primary or Revision Shoulder Replacement
- Hip-Primary or Revision Hip/Acetabulum Replacement
- Knee-Primary or Revision Knee Replacement
- STRYKER MAKO-Robotic-arm assisted surgery
- Hip-Total hip arthroplasty
- STRYKER-Materialise engineers design and 3D print surgical guides that fit specifically to the patients anatomy by using the pre-operative CT planning exam performed at Charter Radiology
- Shoulder-Materialise Shoulder Guides